What do I bring to my tax preparer?

For some people, going to a tax preparer can be daunting. One complaint we often hear is that our clients never know what to bring when discussing their return. Many firms, including Infinity Accounting often use a “client organizer” to help with this. This is basically a survey asking about the various financial events that occurred over the last year. We want to make sure that we have everything the first time so we can complete your return in as less time as possible.

Below is a list of things that we commonly ask for when preparing your tax return. Hopefully this helps sort out some of the confusion. Please send an email or call our office if you have any questions!

Happy Tax Season!

Following is a list of the more common items you should bring if they are applicable:

• New clients: Copy of Social Security card and dates of birth for all to be included on tax return
• New clients: Copies of last two years tax returns
• Banking information (copy of check or voided check) to use for refund direct deposit
• Copy of your driver’s license (or both licenses for a Married Filing Joint return)
• Wage statements (Form W-2)
• Pension or retirement income statements (Form 1099-R)
• Interest and/or dividends (1099-INT and 1099-DIV)
• Affordable Care Act reports
• Form 1095-A, Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
• Form 1095-B, Health Coverage
• Form 1095-C, Employer-Provided Health Insurance Offer and Coverage
• K-1s from partnerships or S-corporations
• Self-employed business income and expenses (including all 1099-MISC forms)
• Estimated tax payments to Federal and State including dates paid
• Information on education expenses – statement of account from school and receipts for books and supplies, as well as Form 1098-T
• Information on the sales of stocks and/or bonds; a CSV file from the brokerage account is very helpful
• Lottery and/or gambling winnings and losses
• State refund amount from previous year
• Social Security statements (SSA-1099)
• Unemployment income statements (1099-G)
• Income and expenses from rentals
• Record of purchase or sale of real estate
• Medical and dental expenses
• Real estate and personal property taxes (vehicle taxes)
• Foreign taxes paid
• Mortgage or home equity loan interest paid (Form 1098)
• Cash and non-cash charitable donation receipts
• Unreimbursed employment-related expenses
• Job-related educational expenses
• Child care expenses and provider information (name, address, Tax ID or SSN)
• Home purchase/sale information (HUD-1)
• IRA contributions
• HSA contributions
• Form 1095-A: Health Insurance Marketplace Statement
• Any item you received in the mail where the envelope says IMPORTANT TAX RETURN DOCUMENTS ENCLOSED
• Any other items that you think may be necessary for your taxes